Monday, February 25, 2008

Distractions

I don't know if it's post Valentine's day blues or something in the air, but apparently this weekend 'twas the season to be dumped by those of us at work, or at least those close to us. Shonna's daughter who is almost scarily similar to me in personality had her boyfriend leave her for another girl he'd been seeing for a little while already. Taryn's boyfriend apparently broke it off with her, and of course there is me. Shonna and my mom were full of advice for us, which was nice. Taryn and I joked we should get some comfort food and movies in there.

In all seriousness though it's been a rough few days, for me as well as these other girls. Life is just too complicated sometimes. I want things to be simple for a while. I'm staying far far away from the dating scene. It's not worth the heartbreak right now. That and I am not even close to being over this. I just want to focus on church and school and work for a little while.

I must say, I've really come to appreciate my friends and my family even more this past weekend. Everyone has been really supportive, and I appreciate that more than they can probably even know.

Anyway, drama drama drama right?

To keep my mind off things I've been playing Sims 2: Castaway on the DS. I love it. It fulfills my need for plot as well as my love for all things Sim related in one sweet little game.

Oh, and in the vein of movies:

1) Dancer in the Dark is by far the saddest movie I have ever seen in my entire life. And this includes Pan's Labyrinth, at the end of which I was sobbing. However, it is also deeply moving and positive in it's example to mankind. The music and cinematography are well done and add a surreal yet horrific element to the things happening. In that way it reminds me of the literary genre magical realism. I have to stop thinking about this movie though. I'll end up in tears again. So on to

2) Ratatouille. Alright, I know I'm behind the times. I didn't get to see this in the theaters and I only just got to watch it while I was in California, but I seriously loved this movie. I mean I've liked some Pixar movies in the past, but I love love love this movie. So much of it looks real! And delicious! The story line is cute and plays up on my love of all things miniature. And of course all the characters are enjoyable and creative. Well done Disney and Pixar. Well done!

3) For my birthday Brandon gave me a DVD called Rivers and Tides about the sculptor Andy Goldsworthy. The documentary was artistic in its plot, cinematography, and most certainly it's music. And that's not even talking about Goldsworthy's art! The way he connects to the earth is intriguing and almost magical. Highly recommended if you even remotely enjoy documentaries.

Well with that little update, I think I'm off. Until next time friends.

6 comments:

Jonni Ann said...

I'm sorry to hear about the break up. It's crazy and unfair how things end up sometimes.

pamily said...

Thanks Jonni :)

Sometimes life is just hard I guess

Anonymous said...

i still haven't seen dancer in the dark, this is driving me crazy. pan's labyrinth was amazing, though, and it's hard for me to imagine a movie being more emotionally evocative - i'm downloading it now and i can't wait to see!

pamily said...

I hope you're planning on crying yourself to sleep for the next few nights heh

Anonymous said...

haha. you were totally right. good lord. he laid it on so thick with the sentimentality but it was just too good not to get sucked right into it. truly miserable but completely beautiful at the same time. the onsite handheld camera cinematography and lack of music besides the imagination sequences were amazing.

the end really got me.

pamily said...

oh me too. By the end we had to keep pausing to get big wads of tissue because I was crying so hard. What I love is how amazing and selfless she is. And the way no one could meet her without loving and trusting her, without wanting to help her. She was just such a good person and the world just took full advantage of that.