Sunday, January 20, 2008

Diamonds with a different sort of blood history

Well, in an otherwise uneventful day, one thing of definite note happened: I talked to my mom today about the wedding ring my dad gave her. I knew the diamond used in it was the same diamond my Grandpa Mitchell gave to my grandma, and that after they divorced, my grandma gave it to my mom for her engagement ring. My mom and dad divorced and my mom had the diamond put into another ring when I was 9 or 10. She wore it for a while, but these days the only ring she wears is her wedding ring to Tod.

So when I asked her about the diamond this morning, she immediately asked if I wanted it, which is exactly what I was planning on hinting at hah.

I gladly accepted and I think that's probably the diamond I'll use in my ring. It's half a carat, incredibly clear and very sparkly. Plus it's exactly the type of cut I wanted: the table and diameter are a bit wider with the pavilion depth a bit shorter. This makes it look bigger and also means it won't stick out quite so far from my finger.

I told Avery about it and she immediately said, "that diamond sounds cursed," which is something my mom said long ago, but let's put it this way: I'm not marrying Brandon for money (my grandmother's mistake) or because my parents have said I'm probably not ever going to be asked again so I may as well just get married (my mother's mistake), so I don't think a twice divorced diamond is going to do much to help or hinder my marriage.

In any case, I'm excited. I'd been thinking maybe I'd just go without a diamond because they're really expensive and I see them as such a waste of money. But if I'm getting one for free, then bring on the bezels, prongs and side-stones! Woohoo!

As for other wedding plans, I've finally picked colors (something most girls do at about age 12) and Brandon seems to like them. I'm thinking dark blue (almost navy) with a medium green and just a splash of pale pink - mostly in the flowers. And I think I've come up with the perfect wedding favor. But we'll see if it pans out.

Alright, enough wedding talk. I think it's time for bed. Goodnight dahlings!

No comments: