Monday, January 28, 2008

Blacking out the friction

What is going on?? Southern California has been flooding and much of it is without power. This is just months after their huge wild fires. China has evacuated 850,000 people from blizzards. Pouring rain caused a bunch of car accidents in Argentina. A volcano erupted in Colombia last Thursday. A few weeks ago a volcano erupted in Chile. There have been tornadoes in Arkansas. Unexpected snow in the southeast.

When I start reading about the death tolls and the amount of damage done by these natural disasters, my heart just breaks for the families stuck in the middle of all this. And it just seems like lately there have been a lot of freak weather changes. So weird.

I woke up to a couple of inches of snow today. Nothing disastrous. Yet. It's supposed to get worse tonight. Particularly because it's a bit warmer with the cloud coverage, which means some of the snow melts, then when the sun goes down it all freezes over and is impossible to drive on. Fun times. Sigh.

So I'm reading Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro. It's an easy read. I can't decide yet if the instability in voice is intentional or not. I find that when the narrator is recalling childhood memories, the story has a soft fluidity about it, but as soon as the narrator brings it back to her present or recent past, the voice is clunky and I come out of my reading reverie. I guess I'll have to finish it to decide.

Oh! My coat came this weekend! I love it! I'll have to put some pictures up later, but it's better than I'd hoped for! Yay!

I felt like I was back in high school the other day when I found out Death Cab for Cutie are releasing a new album this May. Hah. I remember just being so excited I could barely breathe when I found out Plans was coming out. It didn't quite hit that peak this time, but I am still really excited. I don't listen to them that often anymore (Plans honestly wasn't that great), but I obsessed over them for so long in high school and early college that I just can't help myself. It's that same giddy feeling I got when Ben Gibbard came on the stage last spring. I couldn't keep from grinning and just loving the music.

And also on the topic of things I'm excited about, I cannot wait for 19 days from now. Central Coast Cali, here I come! (Please don't rain on me).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The DCFC album sounds like it will be pretty good, but if you haven't heard it already you should really hear Walla's solo album, its fab

DM Roberts said...

I'm pretty curious about Walla's solo album myself. If you like it, let me know.